Tuesday, September 27, 2011

random writings

I haven't written in forever, and NEVER know how to start my posts. That's probably partly why I am so bad at writing.. haha. So I stole an idea from a good friend of mine, and am entering in a journal entry from an average day in the life I thought was funny from a few days ago (:


September 12, 2011
Today has been an interesting day. This morning I worked out, then went to class - my class on John Ford. After that, I didn't know what to do - so I ate lunch and finished my homework. Then I strolled off to my car. I saw the guy with the U of U bag, which brought on a wave of homesickness - then got to my car. On my windshield was a $100 parking ticket. Ouch :( It's because I haven't registered my car yet with the school, so it's totally my fault. So now I have to pay for that... dang it! Good lesson for the future, I suppose.

After that I went and walked around downtown. It was really fun. It's interesting, after reading E.B. White's essays on New York, how true it is - how alone you can feel even in a city crowded with thousands of people. It really can be a place of isolation, even with everyone. You feel very small. Even if it's just Fredericksburg, which is a rather small city (:

I ran into an old black man playing his guitar on the street. We talked - well, he talked (I listened) - for about an hour. He taught me a little about his guitar, and he told me how he had painted houses for a living. He just talked and talked, about music, playing, his life... at one point he asked for my name.
"Whitney" I replied
"Oh!" he said. "Now that's not a common one. There are plenty of Ashleys and Heathers around here, but not Whitneys."
We resumed the conversation - like I said, it lasted at least 40 minutes. It was on the busy street with people walking by, so I was safe, don't worry (: and I follow my gut! or the Spirit, I should say! But we talked, with short breaks of him playing me songs such as Amazing Grace, and some blues. He found out I was majoring in art, and proceeded to tell me about paper elephants and birds he makes. At the end of our conversation, he wrote his number down and gave it to me,  partnered with an invitation to see his artwork and his keyboard. When I was about to leave, he said to me
"What's your name again? Did I already ask this?"
I told him again, and before I could answer his second question he abruptly interrupted me and said
"Oh, no, I didn't ask you that already. Whitney! I would have remembered that name! There's a lot of Whitneys' out here, you know."
"Oh, really?" I replied
We bid our ados, and I went on my way.
Fredericksburg is a fascinating city! There's something about it - the vendors, quirky store and shop owners, antique shops, and ma and pop diners that make me want to do art, or create something. Thus.. the writing, instead of doing homework, which I ought to be doing (:
It's a cultural experience. I also went to a museum and saw a Ku Klux Klan hood, in real life. It scared me - the feeling around it, even through the glass in a sterile museum environment. It was just evil. What things have been seen through those eyes? It's crazy what human beings can do to each other. It's crazy that such noble, heroic, good people live in the same world as those who do so much harm and choose such wicked, selfish ways.. they breathe the same air, walk the same earth, see the same sun and moon and stars.. It makes me wonder why people choose to do the things they do. Because in the beginning I don't know if the one person was that different then the other. It's so interesting to think about, my mind could wander for hours on that subject... it is crazy to think about. It makes me very grateful for my life, and what great blessings God has given me.
On another note, it was weird to go to a museum by myself. Even though it was spur of the moment, next time I'm going to invite someone. It was neat - more personal I guess. But it's nice to have someone to talk with about the things you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment