Sunday, February 10, 2013

awkward & awesome



awkward

being sick at school. seriously. I've been a mess of sniffling, coughing, achy sickness for the past few days. all I can do is curl up with my quilt and herb tea and scare myself silly with some mystery novels (Agatha Christie & Mary Higgins Clark. So good!). there's nothing like being sick at college that makes you just want your mom again. or someone - anyone who loves you - to baby you. what I would give for those sweet childhood days when your mom would put a cold wrap on your forehead and give you some soup.... mm, mm.

when you run into your old english professor at walmart. what exactly is the right/non awkward thing to say in that social situation?

Valentines Day (aka single awareness/forever alone day) is this week. that will be interesting at SVU - I'm intrigued to see what that will be like. I think I'll be eatin' me some sweet frog & watchin some chick flicks with the girls.

awesome

jewelry sales at walmart. which means super cute earrings, and necklaces, for only three bucks. three bucks, people!! awesome!

the play. specifically, Battlefield of Love. super funny, and cute, and a bit weird. perfect play for Valentines Day.

also, my new job. great coworkers, tips, and free sandwiches & cookies. yummy yum yum.

oh, and finding out my broken laptop can be fixed for only fifty bucks. woot woot :) it will be as good as new - my cute little grandpa computer.

also - probably my favorite part this week. singing at the golden living center. all these sweet, sweet old people sit and watch us, and clap, and sing along as we sing hymns to them every sunday. their always an absolute joy.

there is one couple who is so sweet - the wife is so frail, and just sits there with her eyes closed. her husband sits next to her, holding her hand, and never takes his eyes from her when we sing - he just listens and watches her sleep. it's probably the sweetest thing I have ever seen.

also, Michael, my favorite Irish man. he is an absolute ray of sunshine on a dim day. he wears his Irish hat, and claps after the songs, and always says the sweetest, funniest things. like telling my friend that he shook her hand just so he could hold her hand. and telling us we look lovely.  he is the sweetest person.

one lovely thing happened today with him that made me want him as my third grandpa.

this frail, blind woman came into the room, using her cane to guide her way as she looked for her chair. he sat there in his wheelchair, and saw some hymnbooks that were in her way as she sat. he rolled his chair over, reached across the table, and scooted away the hymnbooks so she could sit. I don't think she even realized he was there. it was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen - so thoughtful.

I love people. I really do. there's so much bad out there, but the good moments and noble things people do - as simple as moving hymnbooks so someone can sit - just overpower all of those things.

it's lovely :)

and, my quilt & paints (also awesome) are calling my name. the end, for now!

2 comments:

  1. I've always called Valentine's Day "Waste-of-time's Day." XD

    (Single's Awareness Day is kind of... the exact opposite of what it is...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love hearing those stories about the elderly people! Volunteering warms my heart. Also...did you say eating "frog"??

    ReplyDelete