Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy (early) Memorial Day

 

Tuesday was the first day I’ve had off work in a while. So I felt adventurous and headed up to DC. I’m really glad I did, it looks like Memorial Day weekend will be filled up, and I wanted to go to Arlington Cemetery & some other places that day. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be. So I went myself a few weeks early – and it was such a fantastic day! Seriously, everything was perfect. I woke up super early and spent the day exploring DC! It was nicer than words can describe right now, so I’ll just share some of my favorite moments
-          Turns out there was a huge police gathering in DC. So the city was filled with policemen, their families… and their horses! I walked by the White House and there were probably about 30 mounted police.  I took a few pictures, walked by all their trailers and police cars, and stopped at the crosswalk a ways away to wait for the signal. Suddenly I heard this pounding stampede of hooves clopping down the sidewalk toward me. I turned around, and found myself facing a massive crowd of these cops! They came to the corner and completely surrounded me. I actually really love horses, so I’m not too scared of them, but these guys were enormous. And I was right in the middle of them. I felt like I was going to be trampled, haha. Luckily I was not, and when the walking light said go, I crossed the street accompanied safely with this giant line of horses & police officers. It was priceless, haha. Life is never boring.
-          Seeing Monet’s paintings. It was a powerful experience to see the Woman with an Umbrella and his other work. It brought tears to my eyes, cheesy enough, ha. His work just has so much emotion and movement... so much passion in the paint strokes and colors. I love his paintings. Being able to see the works of Van Gogh, Remembrandt, Picasso, & soo many others was incredible too. It was amazing.
-          Richard, the sweet old guard  at the Art Museum!
 -          Seeing the flag that inspired The Star Spangled Banner. That was another powerful experience.  I know I’m so cheesy, but I shed a few tears at that one too. Even in the crowded museum... ha. Especially because I read through all the verses of the anthem right after seeing it… if you haven’t done that before, I recommend you go look it up right now. The first and last verses are my favorite.
-          Going to Arlington. That is always an awesome experience. This time I was able to walk around by myself and really soak it up, with nobody else around. It was a really different experience then going with a lot of people. I was just able to walk around and have my thoughts focused on these different things, and it was so peaceful. It was beautiful. The neatest part, though, happened as I was walking back along the paths. The day was fading, the light was getting softer, and suddenly I heard the bugle’s mournful notes of Taps drifting across the hills from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I really can’t describe what that moment was like, but it was amazing.
Obviously it was an extraordinary day. I was able to see so much – the Air & Space Museum, National Gallery of Art, American History Museum (which also has the original Superman outfit, fun fact!), the War Memorials, Arlington Cemetery, and the Marine Corps Monument. Ha. It was a ton to pack in one day, but I felt I could have walked forever. The one thing I did wish for at first was some company, but the kids had school...  and I don't think many people could keep up with all that in one day haha. Honestly, going by myself turned out pretty cool. I’ve been in such a somber, thoughtful mood lately…  that always happens to me when big changes are coming up. It just makes me reflect on life I suppose. So as I saw these things I was able to remember what the history was and ponder the true meanings, and just feel the emotions so strongly of what they are about. It was remarkable. I hope lots of people can get those experiences in their lifetimes.
Alright, I’ve written enough. Of course, I took a zillion pictures. So here are some! Enjoy (:




Police bikes & their flags



Washington Monument
 


Sadly, I would not meet the requirements for an airline hostess in the 1950's... haha
 



flowers outside Smithsonian Castle
  



My new friends, the police & their horses
  



possibly my favorite painting of Monet's..
  


Van Gogh!
 


Remembrandt. Love this painting.
 



reflection
 


roses along the Vietnam War Memorial
 



Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
  


Korean Memorial
 


Jefferson Memorial
 


Washington Monument... the sky was incredible today, also. It's been stormy all week, so the clouds & blue sky looked rather stunning!
 


Arlington.
 





sunshine
 


roses
 

  




painting in the Air & Space Museum.
 

"Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue"

Marine Corps Monument



2 comments:

  1. you always take the best photos whit! i miss you and I'm so glad you are doing well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of you right now! I wish I could be in D.C. It is so pretty! I'm glad you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete