Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th (:

Tomorrow is a reason to celebrate (:
This past week has been awesome. It's frustrating to not be able to find a job, but I've promised myself I'll still use my time well. So it's been great spending time with family, friends, attending Institute, working out, helping my parents with the dictionary their trying to publish, and reading.
I've started reading the biography of President Thomas S. Monson, To The Rescue, and so far his experiences and life have been very inspiring. My testimony has grown stronger that he is a true living prophet, and that he was prepared to receive that responsibility. Reading it has definitely made me want to be a better person, and made me look at my life to see ways I can more fully serve God and my family and those around me.
Tomorrow is the 4th of July!! I am so excited. This is my favorite holiday, aside from Christmas. I am so grateful for my country. I'm so grateful for the freedoms that I have, to make my own choices and to worship how I wish. I'm grateful for and honor all who sacrificed and who continue to sacrifice their "lives, their fortune, and their sacred honor" for freedom. I wish I could thank them more than celebrating with a BBQ and fireworks, but I feel the gratitude and honor in my heart for those who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for my beloved country.

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Another reason to celebrate tomorrow is because my Dad is getting baptized (: 
I am so excited for him! Much more then I can write on a blog post, ha. I am so happy for him. 
It reminds me of Lehi, and of Nephi,  in the Book of Mormon, when they see the vision of the tree of life.


 1 Nephi 8:8-12  
And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
  And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.
  And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
  And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.

1 Nephi 11: 9-23
And it came to pass after I had seen the tree, I said unto the Spirit: I behold thou hast shown unto me the tree which is precious above all.
 And he said unto me: What desirest thou?
  And I said unto him: To know the interpretation thereof—for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.
 And it came to pass that he said unto me: Look! And I looked as if to look upon him, and I saw him not; for he had gone from before my presence.
 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.
 And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?
  And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.
 And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God?
 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.
  And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.
  And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!
 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms.
 And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw?
 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.
  And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.

Sorry, I know that was long, ha, but the scriptures say it much more eloquently then I can... and I have a hard time cutting any of it out. Ha. It gets better, because as the vision goes on Nephi sees significant experiences in Christ's life.. how He served and sacrificed and died for us, and was then resurrected. So I recommend going and reading it. Haha. Anyways.
I am so happy for Dad, because I know following the gospel of Jesus Christ is most joyous to the soul.
It's a great feeling to have someone you really care about come to find that joy
One of the best in the world, really, ha. 
Anyways, I am so excited for him. And really wish I could be there. But since I can't, Hooray, Dad! (:
And someday maybe I'll go on a mission (: Haha.
Okay, the end! 

Oh, and here's a neat painting  that I thought was appropriate for the 4th of July. It has some neat symbolism in it that's cool to check out, you can see it here.






No comments:

Post a Comment