Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Some Research

So, I have been soo bored today. Like, incredibly. I woke up at 7, worked out for an hour, then watched Spiderman, then watched Captain America, while doing some artsy stuff. By the end of Captain America, I was going a bit crazy. I never thought I would admit this, but I think I'll be glad when school starts! It's good to fill time and keep moving forward!

Anyways, this past break I've obviously had alot of time (and am proud to say I have not felt bored until now), and one thing I did was research a member of my  family. I'm not sure of the exact relation ties, but he is somehow related to Dad, my stepfather Jason Gagnon. 
His name is Rene Gagnon.



He was born in New Hampshire, and grew up without a father. He worked with his Mother at a shoe mill, until 1943 when he was drafted into the U.S. Marines during WWII. His girlfriend, whose photograph he tucked into his hat before he headed to battle and whom he later married, was Pauline Harnois. When people talked about him later,  they described him as a nice guy - but especially fun to go get drinks with because the girls would just flock to him and his 'movie star' looks. After training, he landed with his unit at Iwo Jima. This battle was horrifically bloody, and the Marine's lost a third of their total losses during WWII within these few days. It was truly awful. The things these men went through and saw and experienced make my heart ache for them. It's something I don't think anyone could understand unless they went through it. However, even with the tragic losses, the U.S was triumphant, and Rene was able to take part, along with six other men, in the second raising of the US flag on Mount Suribachi. He appears (atleast his arm and his leg, haha. He's the front of the back two guys) in one of the most famous photographs in US history - the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.


Isn't that so cool? I've known this for a while, ever since I saw the memorial in Arlington based off the photograph, but I'm ashamed to say I never researched into the guy tied to my family until now.
So, to learn more, I read Flags of our Fathers written by James Bradley, the son of one of the men. It is so good. It follows the lives of the six men who raised the flag, and the background both behind the photograph and behind the battle. Be prepared for a tear jerker!
The most powerful part that stood out to me, though, is how these young men were normal people. Many of them were my age or younger, there were a few as young as 15 years old. They had families back home who loved them, jobs, girlfriends, strengths, weaknesses, worries, fears.
The thing that stood out to me was how this photo, to two of the three survivors from the photograph, didn't mean anything. They felt the true heroes were their comrades in battle, the brave men whose faces we don't know, who fought and struggled, and the medics who risked their lives to help the wounded and dying. I am not describing this half as well as it deserves, so I recommend reading the book. What I can say, though, is how much I really love these young men who gave so much for their country, and for us. I am honored to have members of my family throughout history having served their country, & freedom. I am so grateful for them! For all of them who are willing to sacrifice... and I am so grateful for my country and the freedoms I am blessed with. I owe them, and my Heavenly Father, my thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment