Friday, December 2, 2011

All Time Favorite Christmas Carols!

Here's some of my favorites this year, with some or all of the lyrics from them (:
  • I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - Bing Crosby's version
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas - Bing Crosby's version
I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

I love this one, this version in particular,  because originally it was written for WWII soldiers
who thought the war would be quick, and they would be home by Christmas.
This obviously didn't happen,
hence the line "if only in my dreams."
This song held a tender place in the hearts of Americans,
both soldiers and civilians,
who were then in the depths of World War II. 
According to Wikipedia, 
Bing Crosby's version of "I'll Be Home for Christmas"
became the most requested song at Christmas U.S.O.
 shows in both Europe and the Pacific and Yank.

I love this version because Crosby was singing particularly with this meaning
and it's from the time period, it's the original version that those soldiers listened to
Pretty touching

  • Oh Holy Night - the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! O hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.
 
Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men from Orient land.
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friend.
He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King, Before Him lowly bend!
 
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.
 
Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
This is one of my all time favorites. I love how much hope is in it,
how it portrays the hope that everyone can have
because of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.
This never fails to move me (:

I'm short on time,
but a few I love also are
Handell's Messiah, all three parts about Christ
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

and also, just fun ones
Baby It's Cold Outside
Last Christmas (I Gave You My Heart?) Not sure what the title is
but it's soo cheesy, and I adore it, haha
Santa Baby (Choir Memories)
Sleigh Ride
and It's Beginning to Look Alot Like Christmas

I love Christmas music!!!
and that's the end for now (:

1 comment: