Saturday, October 8, 2011

State Fair & Wild Weekend

Wow. This week has been intense. This weekend has been intense. Where do I even start? Let's see... Thursday I was way sick, so I bummed out of work, had someone cover for me, and totally crashed. I got to paint when I wasn't asleep though, so that was wonderful (: My hands are always multicolored afterwards. Also had a major test in History of Western Art. I think I did okay. It's so much memorization - and I didn't finish my flashcards, so it was.. meh. Not terrible. But definitely not my best. I'll definitely study harder next time.  It's FASCINATING though, we're learning about classical Greece right now - before that Aegean, Minoan, Mycenean, and ancient Egyptian art was so fasinating! It's interesting that only the royals or elites could afford art then, so it was mostly used as a status symbol, a political statement, or a key to the afterlife- sometimes all 3. Fascinating stuff. Anyways. Then Friday was super, duper, dee duper fun! I had class, went home and painted - were doing abstract paintings, and I did one to Fix You by Coldplay (one of my all time favorite bands. Wow. Love them.) I'll put some pics of it up later... someday later.. but yeah. Then that night I went to the State Fair!! Woohoo! It was interesting - it was me and 4 guys. Phillip, Steven, Stephen, John, and I. Yeah... had some kind of awkward moments.. I really wish Kelly or another girl friend had gone... but overall, it was so fun! Okay, most of it was pretty much basically awesome! (: I do have to admit, the guys are hilarious. I saw racing pigs, including pigs who were so fat their bellies dragged on the ground (Tyrone the Terrible), rode a ferris wheel (love, love, love!), rode some freaky roller coasters (SCARY- nothing to the California Screamer though), ate a hot dog with onions (yummy but soo greasy), spent a ridiculous amount of money on entrance fee and rides (ouch :( my poor wallet..) ... basically the overall state fair experience. It was SO fun. I love the lights and the smells and the people, and getting that crazy thrill on rides. It's kind of a sensory overload, I prefer hiking or going to the beach most days. But it's definitely super fun every once in a while!

Then earlier today I competed in a chili cookoff! Our team was called WHAM - (Whitney, Hannah, Amber, Matt). It was AWESOME. We made 10 gallons of chili for a car show carnival thing, that was super spicy and delish! Yes, that's right, 10 gallons! Our theme was "Get Whammed!" and we decorated with handlebar mustaches, including wearing a lovely black fuzzy caterpillar like one on our lips (: We looked adorably manly! It was awesome! Pretty much everyone loved us, because of our mustaches.. and our bubble machine.. and our chili, of course (: We didn't win anything, but it was our first year, and definitely worth the experience! I wasn't so keen on doing it at first - so much homework, it ended up costing a lot of money (my poor wallet is suffering recently - poor thing. I'll nourish it back to health and will not wring it out again),  and alot of time, but it was definitely so, so fun. I'm so glad I went. Thank you, Matt, for setting it up! Way fun (:
Our pictures were su-weet. I'll put some up later, along with this lovely one by kevin dooley on flickr.com (:

So.. yeah.. last night I got about 4 hours of sleep. So I'm off to nap in the UMW library - lovely (:
Later!
Ansel Adams on color by kevin dooley
Steven and Stephen... their hilarious!

me!



John's a goofball! I put up the wrong one.. he wasn't ready on this one so he looks all serious haha. but my computer takes wayy too long to put up the funny one. so imagine him doing a really crazy face. haha.

the guys. haha

ferris wheel (:
Ansel Adams on color, a photo by kevin dooley on Flickr.

2 comments:

  1. Woot Woot! Three boys all to your self! Whit you are living the dream. Sounds like you are having a great time! Miss you!!

    P.S. Don't break too many boys hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 boys, actually... haha. I am, thanks Camie! breaking boys hearts.. me? psh, that's silly (: miss ya Camie!

    ReplyDelete