Saturday, August 3, 2013

pre-mission (:

Wow, this summer has flown by! I can't believe it's already August. With work & preparing for a mission, I've been so busy that I have hardly noticed the days passing by in between each moment. Since I've decided to go I've felt such a huge difference in my life. Where there was doubt and fear and uncertainty, now there's.... well, still alot of questions :) But I just feel so at peace, and have so much faith! And I feel SO excited!!!
Anyhow, these past few weeks have been crazy.

Awkward:

Staying at home by myself. I had the house allll to myself this past weekend... it was actually kind of nice. Until the night came. There's nothing like sleeping alone in a creaky old house in the country. Every little noise you hear startles you awake. Your too scared to get out of bed, so you just peer out under your covers - like hiding under a  blanket is going to keep you safe haha.. Then your left awake in total paranoia, with your pepper spray and cell phone under your pillow, and you can't get back to sleep. Luckily, it's times like these when you bring in your trusty dog - whose sure to ecstatically greet any incomer and warn you that something odd is up. He watched over me all night. Dogs are the best.

Also - driving to the mall and having a random guy start blowing kisses at you. Waving his arms in the air, and blowing kisses. Not sure what else to say about that...


Awesome:

Shopping for missionary dresses. While skimming the racks of dresses at Ross, a song my Elder David Archuleta came on the radio.... I haven't heard his music since I left Utah! So cool to be missionary shopping and having music by a fellow missionary come on the radio :)

Also - the cute dresses! For screamin' deals at the mall! Honestly, I think there is a shopping guardian angel. Countless times throughout my childhood, my parents have found cute, affordable outfits in sometimes the nick of time. Well, I was expecting missionary shopping to be SO hard. But I went to the mall with my family, and lo and behold, we found:
* Two dresses that meet the modesty requirements AND are super cute! And, best part of all, were on ultra clearance. Woot woot.
* The perfect church shoes. I was expecting these to be super hard to find - I love my cute (& sometimes flirty) heels. Well, we found a pair that are both sensible and SO cute, perfect for missionary work. Also, on a fantastic deal.
*Great service shoes. Really, really cute tennies for service projects and working out. Probably one of the best deals of all - the cashier offered to pick them up for me at a store where they had them in my size, and they'll cost a whole whoppin' amount of six dollars!! Brand new, great quality, and stylish.
Honestly, I think it was quite a miracle that we felt randomly like going shopping (we almost never go) and we found all these great things that I needed on a tight budget. I am so blessed!

Now I just have my last interview on Sunday, and then I should know - within about two weeks - where I'll be going! Where I'll be serving and teaching and learning and loving for the next 18 months. I am so excited for this experience. A bit nervous, yes. Not feeling one hundred percent prepared... yeah. But I know this is the right thing for me to do right now, without a doubt. I am so grateful for the process it took to help me to know, and what I learned from it. And I am so excited for this service - this mission - for my Heavenly Father and His children, and my Savior, and for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, to begin. (:


 



this picture just cracks me up...

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Whitney! I"m so glad you could find some great deals :) You look super cute and the dresses also look comfortable. (That is an important thing when your in them all day! Excited to talk to you soon. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and your mission! I told you the day I met you that I know you'll be an amazing missionary! You have such a warm spirit about you. And as a new convert, I can assure you that is exactly what investigators need! I totally woulda welcomed you into my home if you were my missionary!

    ReplyDelete