Thursday, May 26, 2011

Officially a student of...

The University of Mary Washington!!
WOOHOO!!!! (: 

(shrill blonde shriek and clapping of hands)

Quite honestly, it is a miracle. I didn't even consider education in Virginia an option, until after spring break. Because of this, I missed a ton of deadlines.. including the application, scholarship, and financial aid deadlines. However, I decided to try applying anyways. So I turned in my application, and what do you know? I got accepted! However, it was accepted for out of state tuition... Thanks to my Dad being in the Navy, and an utter miracle, we were able to get instate tuition. My parents offered to pay for the first semester, so that I could take advantage of financial aid and scholarships for next semester. How incredible is that?
I am so, so grateful for this opportunity. I'm not quite sure what to expect... but I suppose that's any incoming college student's experience. What will it be like? Will I make good friends? Will I be ok keeping up with intense papers and studying? It's nerve wracking! It's also on the other side of the country...
I am so, so excited to spend time with the kids and my family there though. Honestly, they are the reason I am going.. along with having the opportunity to have an education on the Eastern coast, which is rich with history and all sorts of things to do. It will be an adventure, that's for sure! I have prayed and fasted, and I feel like this is the choice that is best for me right now. I feel like this is where I need to be.. at least for now. I am not leaving Utah forever. I would be quite happy settling in Salt Lake someday, with a strong, handsome husband, lovely little children, and just traveling everywhere. Honestly, that is my dream now, haha. A cozy home with a few horses, an art studio, a baby grand piano, and lots of outdoor equipment to camp and fish and hike. But this is going to be an incredible experience, and such an amazing adventure (: I know there's tough things ahead, but I'm going to face them strongly, and try to be the best I can be! I am SO excited for this venture into the great unknown!
I am so grateful for this opportunity.. when you think of the few people in the world who even get to attend college, and who would sacrifice so much for that education. Then here I am, with this incredible opportunity. It is really humbling, and I am so grateful.

p.s. I'm also very excited to be so close to the center of our country (: D.C. is only an hour away, with the monuments, the Smithsonian, and all sorts of historical things! Also Mount Vernon and Monticello... I'm ecstatic to see those places!





1 comment:

  1. I am so excited and happy for you Whitney!! It will be so neat hearing about all of the incredible things that you will be doing and learning there. What an opportunity. I am so glad that everything just seemed to fall into place. We sure are going to miss you though! Congrats once again!

    ReplyDelete